The Spanish Wine Scholar™ education program is the most advanced and comprehensive certification course on the wines of Spain. The syllabus takes a regional approach and discusses all Spanish wine appellations and the factors that shape their identities. The Spanish Wine Scholar study and certification program confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exam. With a school network encompassing 30 countries on 5 continents, the SWS credential has true international recognition. Set yourself apart from your peers. Specialize in the wines of Spain
The program was created by Spanish wine specialist Rick Fisher, Spanish Wine Scholar™ Education Director and he will be leading the first Spanish Wine Scholar session in San Diego, so you will be learning directly from the actual creator of the program!
SWS Course Overview:
- 20 hours of instruction with tutored tastings
- A 315-page, full-color SWS Study Manual & exam registration
- Access for 1 full year to the SWS Online Study Program for preparation and review
- The Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) credential, certificate and lapel pin upon passing the SWS exam
- Introduction to Spain: winemaking, viticulture, history
- Green Spain, Duero River Valley, La Rioja, Ebro River Valley, Catalunya, Central Mediterranean, Meseta, Andalucia, The Islands:
- We taste over 35 wines throughout the program!
SWS Class Session at Wine Sellar and Brasserie: ENROLLING FOR SUMMER 2020 SESSION!
Classes meet on Wednesdays from 6-10pm for 6 weeks.
Class Dates: June 17, July 8, 15, 22, 29, Exam August 26th
SWS Course Pricing
The SWS Certification Program costs $1080 for the teaching, books, exam and all course (online and printed manual) materials. 10% booking discounts ($990/pp) if you enroll with at least one other person OR if you enroll before June 1st 2020. Group rates of 4 or more at $900 per person.
*** PLEASE NOTE THE 3% SERVICE FEE CHARGE FOR PAYPAL CREDIT CARD PROCESSING ***
Who is this program for?
This advanced study program is designed for all committed students of wine, including:
- Wine professionals wishing to specialize in the wines of Spain
- Aspiring wine professionals looking to enter the wine industry with serious knowledge on the wines of Spain
- Serious wine hobbyists as well as Hispanophiles whose main interest is everything Spanish.
“San Francisco Wine School has been a provider of WSG’s French Wine Scholar Program since 2011, we were one of the first in the world to offer their Italian Wine Scholar in 2017 and are eager to do the same with Spanish Wine Scholar in 2019.The book, slides, exam, online and supporting materials are all first rate.”
– David Glancy MS, CWE, CSS, FWS, Founder & Chief Education Officer of San Francisco Wine School
“A comprehensive and fascinating course on Spanish wines, covering so much more than the well-known wines of Rioja, cava and sherry. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about each of the regions, their wines and the historical and geographical factors that shaped them. I feel so much more confident and adventurous when faced with an array of Spanish wines in a restaurant or wine store.”
– Kate Hall